This photograph shows Jim Ede (1895-1990) at Kettle's Yard, the home of him and his wife Helen from 1957-1973. Though it was open to the public every afternoon - a tradition that continues to this day - it was never intended to be a museum; instead, Jim was interested in creating a new way of looking at art by embedding it in a domestic setting. Jim was a great supporter of a young generation of artists when he worked at Tate in the 1920s and 30s, befriending Ben and Winifred Nicholson, Christopher Wood and David Jones, whose work forms the basis of his collection, as well as championing artists such as Gaudier-Brzeska and Alfred Wallis. He placed their art alongside natural found objects, antique furniture, glassware and ceramics. The house and its collection were given to the University of Cambridge in 1966, with the site growing over the years to include an extension to the house as well as a gallery which hosts a programme of modern and contemporary art exhibitions.
Maker/source: Photograph by D. Gaye
Date: c. 1969
Collection: Kettle's Yard